Communication in marriage or lack thereof has been cited for years as one of the primary reasons for divorce. Being able to effectively communicate your thoughts and feelings to your spouse is not only necessary to make a marriage work, but essential to maintain a harmonious household. Furthermore, good communication skills are necessary in every aspect of life.
For those who have issues communicating with your spouse whether it be difficulty expressing your thoughts or difficulty being a good listener there are some things you can do to become a better communicator. Listed below are a few tips to effectively communicating with your spouse:
- Take time each day to talk to each other.
- Openly talk to the other person, and actively listen.
- Express feelings without getting angry.
- Don’t be mean.
- Don’t give advice, unless asked for it.
- Watch your tone of voice.
- Don’t jump to conclusions.
- Don’t interrupt.
In closing remember that “Pleasant words are like a honeycomb, sweetness to the soul and health to the bones.” Proverbs 16:24 (NKJV)
Written by Terry 411 Cato