Thursday, July 14, 2011

Bag Lady, Why are you so burdened?!?!

“Come to me, all you who are weary burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light” – Matthew 11:28-30


During devotional today I was lead to this passage, and it really struck a chord in my heart because it sums up everything that is my Christian experience (THE Christian experience actually!!). I was a slave to sin, living a life devoid of God and filled hopeless, because despite all the effort on my part I would never find fulfillment. Why?? Because every step and action that I took lead to death (Romans 6:20-21). Without realizing, the daily facets of life and sin were creating small parcels that attached to my soul. As these “gifts” accumulated my steps started to become weighed down, I was burdened by past actions. Things I did, that felt were innocent at the time, left impressions that polluted the way I viewed life and others in general. This is where Jesus came in…Jesus was sent to save you and me from our sins.

He is meant to be the one to take our spiritual burdens on; he is willing to make an exchange with us. (This is so cliché rolleyes , but bear with me) Jesus is standing right next to all of us; he has been trying to catch our attentions for a long time, consistently calling to us despite our best efforts to ignore him. He’s holding out his hand waiting to trade loads with us. He says “take my yoke upon you… [and] you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden light” (Matt 11:29-30). He means that he is the one who will sever the soul ties of sin from our spirit. Through him we will become renewed and live a life where we are free beings that have been taken away from the chronic condition of sin. As Christians we are all daily survivors of the spiritual warfare being waged around us; to live we have to daily offer up our burdens to God in exchange for his lighter load.

My question for everyone is how did you make this process of exchanging spiritual burdens easier? What are practical ways to commune daily with God and ask for his guidance?? Please feel free to share your thoughts. ;) 


Post curtsy of The Burgeoning Christian
 

No comments: